[Sca-cooks] crabapples vs. apples

Pat mordonna22 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 3 18:32:37 PDT 2005

The crabapple tree we had in the front yard of the house I grew up in in Columbus, Georgia, had marble sized apples that were still very tart when ripe.  Inedible raw, but delicious pies and jellies.  The tree was around 40 feet tall and very wide spread.  The ornamental I had in my front yard in South Carolina bloomed faithfully for 20 years without ever producing fruit.  It only grew about 8 feet tall.  I also remember the canned ones about the size of golf balls, but never saw the tree they came from.  As has been mentioned, not the same species as apple, but the same genus with lots of different trees.

Mordonna

Radei Drchevich <radei at moscowmail.com> wrote:
actually, many of the non-citrus fruits are roses. Apples, crabapples,
peaches, cherries, plums, apricots, ect are roses hips. if you take a
look at a rose hip amd an apple side by side you can see it clearly.

I would like to see the fruits you all are calling crabapples. I have
never seen one larger than 1", I am thinking I am not talking about the
same type that you are calling crabapples. Mine are marble sized and
almost ripe now, probably have to do something with them within the next
few weeks at the latest.

joy

radei

Lady Anne du Bosc