American Diet was [Sca-cooks] Re: Anchovette

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Jul 6 17:47:01 PDT 2005

On Jul 6, 2005, at 7:45 PM, Radei Drchevich wrote:

> would have to say that is not the case in my Family.  We are
> English/Dutch/German I grew up in Denver, but parents are from Omaha,
> grandparents from Champaine/Urbana Illinois, greatgrandparents from
> Ohio.  Most of our cooking forms have an Eastern European or
> Scandanavian
> influence.  Lots of Germans/Bohemians/Swedes and a few other pre-
> soviet
> eastern europians.  Anchovies are pretty common in a lot of our
> cooking.
> I have recipes from the last 5 generations and they are used quite
> often.
>
> Middle America, I would assume more than a few are going to have
> similar
> experiences.  Chicago is the central immigration site for eastern
> Europe.
> So lots of immigrants ended up there.
>
> Some of my favorite memories from childhood are the yearly
> pilgrimages to
> "Joe Tess's" for Deep Fried Carp, and "The Bohemian Cafe" for a full
> Heavy Eastern Europian Dinner<Kielbasa, Roast Pork with brown
> gravy, bread dumplings, sweet kraut with caraway, fried cabbage with
> apple>, and the whole weekend polish and german Polka music playing on
> every radio station on the dial<g>.  Ah, to be a child again<sigh>

Uuuurrrhhh, yes, this is true to some extent. But what you're
describing is basically ethnic food from Central and Eastern Europe,
and while it certainly is eaten by Americans, so is a good Salade
Nicoise. I think if you were able to find exactly how many homes in
America this evening (bearing in mind different time zones) had
roasts and gravies prepared in them (okay, so today isn't Sunday, but
work with me here), I think you'd find those with anchovy slivers
studded into them like lardons or mashed into the gravy are in a
distinct minority when compared to those that don't. Ditto the
hamburger casseroles, the Hunk Of Meat Plus Potatoes, and a lot of
the other stuff Americans, overall, tend to eat. We on this list
probably aren't a very good cross-section of American tastes.

Another consideration is the narrowing spectrum of little fishy
products available not only to Americans commercially, but around the
world. Anchovies have been adopted into some recipes that didn't
originally include them, in part because things like sardellen (very
big in German cookbooks prior to the 1950's or so), or the sweet
pickled anchovies that have been supplanted by salted anchovy fillets
in oil for the Swedish (or possibly Swedish-American) dish known as
Janssen's Temptation, are no longer as readily available as they were
50 years ago. I wouldn't be at all surprised if some of the German
dishes you mention called for things like sardellen in some
previously-written-down incarnation. After all, think about living on
a farm in North Germany or, say, Upper Silesia in the 19th century,
and think about which type of fish you're probably more likely to
find: little salted sprats from the North or Baltic Sea, or anchovies
from the Mediterranean? Moving to America certainly does level the
playing field to a great extent, of course.

I'm certainly glad to hear there are more Americans than Urtatim and
myself who love anchovies, though. I wouldn't want them going the way
of the dodo and the sardelle... ;-)

Adamantius