[Sca-cooks] Janssen's Temptation- was Re: American Diet

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Wed Jul 6 18:53:19 PDT 2005

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

Anchovies have been adopted into some recipes that didn't
> originally include them, in part because things like sardellen (very
> big in German cookbooks prior to the 1950's or so), or the sweet
> pickled anchovies that have been supplanted by salted anchovy fillets
> in oil for the Swedish (or possibly Swedish-American) dish known as
> Janssen's Temptation, are no longer as readily available as they were
> 50 years ago.

Hadn't run into the sardellan, but I'm reasonably sure that Janssen's
Temptation is originally a Swedish dish. While I first discovered it in a
Time-Life book, one of the ones that details various international cuisines,
and later rediscovered it in the NYT Cookbook, I was discussing it with a
Swedish blacksmith (in Sweden) and he assured me that it was a very common
and traditional Swedish dish- rather on the order of meatloaf for Americans.

Saint Phlip,
CoD

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.