[Sca-cooks] Smoke Essence.

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 6 20:06:35 PDT 2005

Vladimir wrote:
>  What exactly is Smoke essence?

I've got several bottles of what i'm used to calling "Liquid Smoke"
in my pantry... One only needs to use very few drops to a recipe for
an average sized family. It has a "flat" rather than complex flavor,
but there are times when one wants to add the taste and smell of
smoke to suggest that something has been smoked or cooked over a wood
fire and this is handy when one just has no way to do this - Useful
when one lives in an urban apartment, like me.

Here's what the label says:
Wright's
Concentrated
All Natural
Hickory Seasoning
Liquid Smoke
More than twice as concentrated as the other leading brands
3.5 Fl.Oz (103 ml)
(and it's kosher - got a U in a circle)

On the back it just says "Wright's Hickory Seasoning"

It says it contains water and natural hickory smoke concentrate. I
guess that's basically the creosote from burnt hickory wood :-)

I've got a couple bottles because i had a bottle, couldn't find it
when i needed it, so i got another... They last a LONG time -
although i noticed there's some precipitate in at least one of the
bottles - could be 3-1/2 years old or more.

--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita