[Sca-cooks] Smoke Essence.

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Wed Jul 6 21:02:00 PDT 2005

I thought maybe someone else that had seen the Good Eats jerky episode would
have mentioned it by now, but since they havn't, here goes:
During the aforementioned episode, Alton goes on a short tangent talking
about making his own liquid smoke.  He uses a chimenea on a patio.  Out of
the top he attaches a 40-foot ductwork section, with foil crimped around the
join with the top of the chimenea and again at the top.  He then places a
bundt pan over the opening at the top of the piece of ductwork, an then a
stainless mixing bowl inverted over the bundt pan.  The object is to funnel
the smoke up through the hole in the bundt pan and have it caught in the
bowl.  He then does a classic trick for distilling, placing a zip top bag
full of ice on top of the bowl.  Lighting a fire in the chimenea and putting
chunks of his favorite wood on the fire, the smoke is caught in the bowl in
the condensation caused by the ice on top of the bowl, then drips down the
side of the bowl and into the bundt pan, collecting in little puddles of
liquid smoke.  A pretty slick device, although I'm not sure it is worth the
effort unless you really want to be sure you aren't buying a bottle of
chemicals.
Christianna