[Sca-cooks] chicken fried steak (OOP)

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Fri Jul 8 19:31:37 PDT 2005

You can have my share of liver dishes, Andrea.  As far as I'm concerned,
liver's just the toxic waste dump of the body. <g>  I've tried it
several times over the years, in a variety of dishes, and just don't
like it--combination of a Flavor Thing (tm) and a Texture Thing (tm).
We have chicken fried steak here in the Rocky Mountain West, as well,
usually eaten with cream gravy and smashed taters.  It's not something I
grew up with though, even though I'm a born-and-bred Montanan, perhaps
because both my parents were east-coast Yankies.  My Dad was the only
one in the family who'd generally touch grits--his southern roots
showed, then.
Regional cuisine, here, depends on which ethnic group or groups settled
here as either farmers or workers for one of several extractive
industries (especially mining--Butte has some fascinating history). It's
mostly similar to midwestern food, though--enough so that I "get" the
jokes about Lutheran binder and ketchup on Prairie Home Companion.
--Maire, who only discovered Cornish pasties and biscuits-and-gravy
after she went to college, but knew several Norwegian Bachelor Farmers
as a kid....