[Sca-cooks] anchovies & tamarind....

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Tue Jul 12 06:07:44 PDT 2005

I don't recall seeing them, no, but then, I didn't go out of my way to
look for them, either.  About the only version I remember seeing is
anchovy paste.
I live in a town that's probably a whole hell of a lot smaller than
Austin, let alone NYC like Master A (only about 50,000, and at that,
we're still the 2nd largest in the state).  We just don't have the
ethnic populations or groceries that many of you do.  We have small
populations of Hmong, and Vietnamese, and Tibetan, and something
eastern-Russian (Byelorus? Dunno, but they're religious refugees from
several years back), but not enough to spawn or support a specialty
store.  We had one, wonderful, funky little Italian deli, but it closed
this past winter when the proprietor decided to retire (he was in his
90s, I figure he's entitled).  I might be able to find anchovies at the
Good Food Store, which is our local health food/artisan/ethnic store,
but no guarantees.
ISTR, moving to tamarinds, that I've got a couple of dried ones in a bag
in my cupboard (bought as a curiosity).  I *think* there's a recipe for
a drink syrup made with them in the Anonymous Andalusian.  Has anyone
tried it? I might have to, this weekend! ;oD
--maire