[Sca-cooks] IKA - head table seating?

K C Francis katiracook at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 13 13:50:57 PDT 2005

Greetings,

Here in the West, the hosting Royalty (K&Q or P&P)  or the hosting landed
B&B take center stage on the long table with all facing the hall.   All
other Royalty can expect to be seated in order of precedence sitting
left/right/left/right of the center.  Same way they are seated in court as a
matter of fact.    Simply a matter of 'precedence'.  And you should see the
mad scramble to swap back and forth to reorder the table if an unexpected
Royal shows up.  Oh, and this includes Heirs.  Here in the West we have 2
local Principalities.  So, there may be anywhere from 1 to 5 sets of Royalty
and we also often get visitors from out of Kingdom.  We have had some very
large high tables!

FYI, here in the West, a landed B&B may hold court in their Barony and host
their feasts but are otherwise not considered included  as 'royalty' in
other settings.  I know that in Kingdoms where there are no Principalities,
they are considered minor Royalty and I believe they can give armigious
awards, which ours cannot (please correct me if I am wrong).

A single Royal may ask someone to accompany them (gives them someone to talk
to) as space is usually arranged for 2 people.  When the table is sparsly
populated or there is room, others may be invited to sit with them.  I have
sat with my Queen and with my Princess while a member of the court, when
they attended a feast solo.  As Princess I have invited a member of my guard
to join me when the Prince attended another event.   A courtesy to the Royal
and an honor to the guest.

In the Province of Golden Rivers (having no B&B), puts their Champion and
consort, the Lord and Lady of Golden Rivers in their copper 'coronets' at
the center of their feast head tables.

And, others may be normally included, such as the Bard of the Mists has the
right by law and custom to sit at the right of the Prince in court and at
feast table.    Do not know when/why this came into law, but has been this
way since I joined in AS 19.  No other bard in the West has this right.
FYI, the Bard of the West is relatively new.

At a Baronial feast in Vinhold, a Lord/Lady of Misrule is selected by the
Baron and seated at the high table.   Sometimes one of the Royalty has an
S.O. that is also seated at the table, usually at one end but near enough to
chat.

So you see there are conventions and there are exceptions.  In planning for
a feast and the head table, one usually checks to see which Royalty is
coming, 1 or 2,  w/ or w/o guests, etc. and plans for at least that many
total.  Bad form to scramble for an extra table at the last minute.  But it
does happen of course.  As for space, if They plan to use a throne instead
of a regular chair, the extra space needed must be considered.

I am sure there are things done differently in other Kingdoms and I am
curious to hear about them myself.

If you don't want to post this somewhat OT topic to the list, you may reply
directly to me.

Thank you,

Katira