[Sca-cooks] IKA - head table seating?

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Wed Jul 13 14:14:56 PDT 2005

Am Mittwoch, 13. Juli 2005 19:20 schrieb iasmin at comcast.net:
> Although I'm interested in the inter-kingdom anthopology of a much wider
> issue than this, I'm a bit afraid of the mountainous responses I could get
> asking this question too broadly....
>
> When your feasting halls have a head table, what are the seating
> arrangements of the head table? That is, who sits next to whom and when
> does this change under various circumstances? What size and shape are the
> tables?

I swear I thought that read 'IKEA'...

I'm no protocol maven, but from what I gathered at our events in Drachenwald,
a high table is considered practically mandatory if royalty are present. They
are oblong and the guests are seated along the long side facing the gathered
diners - I've never seen it done any other way. Most high tables seat between
6 and 8. The royals are seated in the centre, with the highest ranking other
members filling the places to their right and left, proximity being governed
by rank. There have been some acrimonious debates within earshot whether a
representative of the hosting group (seneschal or marshal) should be seated
there, but I gather the answer is 'not unless s/he has the rank'.

Drachenwald has lots of local variety, though. This may just be the way they
do things where I happened to be at the time.

Giano