[Sca-cooks] Playing with my food again...

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 13 16:11:37 PDT 2005

Phlip wrote:
>OK, a couple days ago, I tried Adamantius' Pork Shoulder recipe. Any of
>you who like pork, try it- it's absolutely excellent ;-) Only one
>warning/modification- throughout it, he refers to lifting up the "fat" to
>get the rub in- I emailed him about it, because our shoulder came with fat
>and skin- yes, partially remove the fat _AND SKIN_.
>
>The meat was flavorful and tender, the skin was delightfully crisp, and very
>much a tasty addition to the rest of the shoulder. Rob and Margali
>apparently didn't like the skin, so poor suffering me had to eat it all up-
>Woe is me, woe to my cholesterol, but DAMN, it was good ;-)
>
>And, those of you who don't think you'll like the skin- don'r remove it,
>other than the loosening you do to get the rub into the meat. Replace it,
>and salt it, even if you think you won't eat it, because the skin is what
>keeps all the juices in, and makes the meat so utterly delectible.

Indeed.

The two times i cooked the Boar Hunt (one was my
very first feast as head cook, 2000, and only the
2nd feast i'd ever worked), i got a two pork
legs. Bone removed. Skin and fat removed and
retied around the meat. Together they weighed
around 40 lbs. (the feast was for 72-80 people)

I purchased already peeled garlic which we
smashed with knives and cleavers. Then we
completely slathered the meat with mass
quantities of the pureed garlic. Then we tied the
fat and skin back around the meat. The pork went
into the oven around 10 AM at 350° F. I used a
thermometer in the oven to verify the
temperature. The pork wasn't done until after 6
PM, when the internal temperature of the meat was
some number the butcher told me, i forget now,
but i knew at the time... The web suggests
temperatures between 155 and 170 F for pork.

The pork came out of the oven, the ties around
the skin were cut, the skin removed, and the pork
sliced and served. The meat was falling apart and
meltingly delicious, moist and tender and tasted
wonderfully of garlic.. It was served with
several sauces, but i was just sucking it up the
way it was - it was so good it hardly needed any
salt.

There wasn't a scrap leftover.

I think good roast pork is my favorite meat. (OK, i love bacon...)
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita