[Sca-cooks] Danelaw feast

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Thu Jul 14 00:04:17 PDT 2005

Am Donnerstag, 14. Juli 2005 05:31 schrieb Lonnie D. Harvel:

> _*A Feast for the Market Day at Jorvik:*_
> (The bread, cheese and butter will be served with the feast, not before.)
>
>     * *Eofor* (stewed boar): Boar, onions, grains of paradise, cinnamon,
>       sage, coriander seed, red wine, salt

Are grains of paradise in familiar use that early? I know they had pepper in
Frisia, but I don't recall aframomum melegueta before the 14th century (then
again, I've never looked).

>     * *Caulres Wyrtmete* (cabbage salad): Cabbage, spinach, leek, peas,
>       farmers cheese, cider vinegar, oil, salt, pepper
>     * *Leaxes Hlaf* (salmon cakes): Salmon, egg, oatmeal, onion, oil
>
>     * *Hlaf *(bread): wheat, oat and/or rye bread
>     * *Cyse Syfling* (cheese spread): cottage cheese, cream cheese,
>       white wine vinegar, rose water, salt, pepper
>     * *Hunig Butere* (honey butter): butter, honey
>
>     * *Ælan Cicen* (grilled chicken): Chicken, oil, cider vinegar,
>       honey, cloves, cinnamon, salt
>     * *Hunigbære Moran* (honey-glazed carrots): Carrots, salt, radishes,
>       butter, honey, cinnamon, mint leaves, cress
>     * *Hwerhwettan Wyrtmete* (cucubmer salad): Cucumbers, onion, salt,
>       pepper, honey, white wine vinegar, water
>     * *Hriõer Smeamete* (beef casserole): Beef, saffron, water, white
>       wine vinegar, oil, breadcrumbs, raisins, dates, honey, salt,
>       pepper, cinnamon, red wine, butter
>
>     * *Bræder Eofor* (roast pork): Pork, salt, oil, honey, white wine
>       vinegar, white wine, cinnamon, pepper, rosemary, cress, apples
>     * *Beren Briw* (barley pilaf): Barley, radishes, butter, vegetable
>       stock, salt
>     * *Swamma* (mushrooms): Mushrooms, butter, salt, red wine vinegar,
>       sage, thyme
>
>     * *Peru on Wine* (pears in wine sauce): Pears, red wine, honey,
>       cinnamon, cloves, cumin, pepper
>     * *Flete Estmete* (sour cream custard): Eggs, cottage cheese, sour
>       cream, almond, honey, breadcrumbs, sugar, butter, cinnamon (maybe
>       served with strawberries as well).

This looks very cool indeed. Two more questions: this is intended to be
high-class fare, right? There is a lot of imported goodness involved. THe4
other is, is there a specific reason you use oil with all the fried/roasted
dishes? I would assume animal fats at this place and time (and yes, I
substitute, too. Moderns are not as happy with large amounts of lard than our
ancestors were).

Giano