[Sca-cooks] Ethnic was American Diet was Anchovette

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Jul 15 05:17:37 PDT 2005

On Jul 14, 2005, at 11:15 PM, Bill Fisher wrote:

> I like the tamarind flavor and it is one of those items whose
> flavor is
> best described using its own name.

Well, if you're describing something to someone who has no frame of
reference, you have to be creative ;-).

> I can get the whole pods here in town, or sweetened or unsweetened
> processed paste.  I haven't played with it as its own ingredient
> though.

Yeah, me, too. I can get the whole pods, too, but mostly I buy the
scraped pulp pressed into bricks and semi-dried, with the seeds in it
that look like nuts in fudge. I keep waiting for the day when I get
to see someone pick up such a brick and take a big ol' bite out of it.

> I grew up with the tinned anchovies that were packed in oil.  It
> was what
> was for lunch when I was at my late grandfather's house.  Bread, some
> kind of tinned fish (or cuttlefish), and unsweet tea (he was diabetic
> due to an accidental
> overdose when he was receiving chemotherapy, I think).  But he had
> picked
> up the taste for it when he was in England during WWII.   He also said
> he liked salted fish from his depression era upbringing as well in the
> Coal Regions
> of PA (Summit Hill/Tamaqua).

FWIW, my own experience with chemotherapy patients is that there may
well be some decrease in taste sensitivity. My father-in-law used to
cook with ridiculous amounts of salt near the end, claiming he
couldn't taste anything without it. I wonder if there's some
connection with your late grandfather.

> I remember the first time I ordered anchovies on pizza and I had
> assured my
> friends that they would be great, and they were the little salt
> bombs.  I called
> up the pizza place and asked for my money back.  Didn't get it.

Well, I can see their point. They saw no point at which their
treatment of it made the food bad, so it was your fault for ordering
it ;-) <puts on Oliver Hardy voice> "Let _THAT_ be a lesson to you!"

> I do like pizza with fresh or pickled anchovies on.  I just found a
> place
> (World Market) here where I can get the brined ones with hot peppers.

Cool! Mostly I see the little tins, and the best ones I can normally
find are in large glass clamp-top mason jars packed in real olive
oil. I'm sure if I dug around I could find other types.

>> That's the one.
>>

> Balut gives me the heebies.....

Yeah, me too.

> Now if someone can tell me where I can find Gentleman's Relish here in
> Atlanta (I used to get it in NYC when I was up north), I'd greatly
> appreciate
> it.

I'm surprised no one has been able to reproduce the formula "by
accident" (it appears to be mostly seasoned/spiced anchovy butter),
and simply sold it under another name. Lots of commercially-produced
foods have proprietary formulas, but few are as well-protected as
this one, and none, AFAIK, for as long as this has been around. It's
as if people had been trying to get the recipe for Coca-Cola since
1828, and failing, with the major difference that Coke isn't made
from ingredients commonly available in most kitchens.

Incidentally, I have a recipe for gravlax somewhere, written by some
Em-paaah-building English military traveller or other, maybe in the
1920's, and in the text, he refers to gravlax as the Gentleman's
Relish of Sweden.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782