[Sca-cooks] Ethnic was American Diet was Anchovette

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Fri Jul 15 05:40:31 PDT 2005

> FWIW, my own experience with chemotherapy patients is that there may
> well be some decrease in taste sensitivity. My father-in-law used to
> cook with ridiculous amounts of salt near the end, claiming he
> couldn't taste anything without it. I wonder if there's some
> connection with your late grandfather.

What you need to remember is that the effects chemo have depend on the
kind of chemo being administered.  I've been on two different
kinds...one administered by a continuous feed pump as a result of colon
cancer...which had virtually no side effects at all, and chemo that was
administered via shots the first two weeks of each month for six
months.  This last was for breast cancer, and caused me to gain weight
(which of course I needed), lose half of my hair and, toward the end,
get VERY tired.  Admittedly, in both cases, I was very lucky...in this
later course, I should have lost all of my hair and had bouts of nausea
each day.  I don't recall my taste in food changing however.  The
biggest change of that nature came when I quit smoking 20-some years ago!

The good news regarding chemo is that research is ongoing to devise
methods of treating cancer that attack only the cancer cells rather than
our whole body.  Some pretty spectacular things are being worked
on...and there should be better ways of treating this disease in the
short term!

Kiri