[Sca-cooks] Non gluten breads

Simon Hondy scholari at verizon.net
Fri Jul 15 10:16:45 PDT 2005

The recipe book "The Gluten free gourmet bakes bread"
She has a couple other excellent gluten free cook books.

My favorite is as follows it is an Irish soda bread, not all dry and knacky,
really quite good with tea!

I find flours used in gluten free coking I let them soak with the liquids a
little extra other wise it is a little grainy.  Then add the baking soda and
what not.  Most gluten free breads are also of the quick bread variety.

Any way here is a recipe I have made successfully numerous times.

Simon Hondy
"Cum Omni humilitate
faciant ipsas artes"
  -St. Benedict

GF Irish Soda Bread

  I would definitely sift all my flour simply because I find it makes it
lighter.  You can also use egg beaters in lieu of eggs, no fat sour cream in
lieu of regular sour cream and non-dairy creamer in lieu of milk.  Some have
sprinkled sesame seeds and minced onion on the top.
I have found that I cannot tell the difference between this and my usual
soda bread.

I make half the amount and uses an 8 1/2 inch spring form pan to give it the
round shape I desired.  I have also cooked this in regular loaf pans, either
way just as tasty!  It is a batter bread like a banana or zucchini bread.
So it can be mixed up and baked right away.  Also the ingredients can be a
little expensive, but for those who can benefit from this, the look of
getting to eat bread safely and real bread tasting bread, is worth all the
expense)

GF Irish Soda Bread (double batch):

8    cups   GF flour mix  (2 1/2 pounds) (see recipe for this below)
3/4  tsp    xanthum gum
3/4  cup    white sugar
2    tsp    baking soda
4    tsp    baking powder
1    tsp    salt
6           eggs
2    pint   sour cream (1 pint is 1 pound)
1/4  cup    milk or water so that batter almost pours

1) Preheat oven to 375 deg F.  Grease three 8 x 4 inch pans.

2) Mix dry ingredients.  Add eggs, sour cream and liquid and mix.

3) Divide batter evenly between the three pans. (I give them a
couple good raps against the counter to level the batter)

4) Bake at 375 deg F for 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out
clean. (The more liquid you use the longer it takes)

The GF flour mix I use is:

4 parts  Brown Rice Flour
1 part   Potato Starch Flour
1 part   Tapioca Flour