[Sca-cooks] Non gluten breads

Heather M margaretnorthwode at frontiernet.net
Fri Jul 15 11:07:18 PDT 2005

Simon Hondy wrote:

>The recipe book "The Gluten free gourmet bakes bread"
>She has a couple other excellent gluten free cook books.
>
>My favorite is as follows it is an Irish soda bread, not all dry and knacky,
>really quite good with tea!
>
>I find flours used in gluten free coking I let them soak with the liquids a
>little extra other wise it is a little grainy.  Then add the baking soda and
>what not.  Most gluten free breads are also of the quick bread variety.
>
>Any way here is a recipe I have made successfully numerous times.
>
>Simon Hondy
>"Cum Omni humilitate
>faciant ipsas artes"
>  -St. Benedict

As a small bonus, Joy of Cooking, 1st. edition, has a brownie made with
rice or potato flour.  Mine came out grainy, but then I didn't let it
sit in the liquids for very long, either. That solution may work to take
care of the graininess. YMMV

Margaret Northwode
Recipe Follows_----

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
1/2 c. butter
4 oz. unsweetened chocolate
Melt in a double boiler. Allow to cool If you don't your brownies will
be heavy and dry. Beat until light in color and foamy in texture:
4 eggs at room temp
1/4 teaspoon salt.
Add gradually and continue beating until well creamed:
2 c. sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
with a few swift strokes, ocmbine the cooled chocolate muxture and the
eggs and sugar. Even if you normally use an electric mixer, do this
manually. Before the mixture becomes uniformly colored, fold in, again
by hand:
1 1.3 c rice or potato flour
And before flour is uniformly colored, stur in gently:
1 c. pecan meats [my husband like walnuts - Margaret]
Bake in a greased 9 x 13-inch pan about 25 minutes (may take longer to
bake with GF substitution). Cut when cool, as interiors are still moist
when fresh from the oven.
Garnish with more pecans [walnuts!] whipped cream, GF ice cream or a GF
icing.