[Sca-cooks] Cooking fats in period England

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 16 23:52:23 PDT 2005

On 7/16/05 10:44 PM, "Kathleen Madsen" <kmadsen12000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> They used a lot of clarified butter (ghee) as their
>cooking fat.  It was typical to have a pot of it above
>or near the cooking area so that it could be quickly
>added to the pot if needed.

Well, they did not call it by the Hindi word "ghee" and actually, ghee
proper is also cooked beyond mere melting and clarification to impart a
slightly nutty flavor.

This does not stop me from keeping a jar of pre-packaged ghee by my stove,
for use as you describe.  Ancient Anglo-Saxons unfortunately had very few
South Asian mini-marts in their neighborhoods. <smile>

Selene Colfox