[Sca-cooks] [OOP] Ice cream

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Jul 17 00:10:43 PDT 2005

Giano gave several ice cream recipes from Elizabeth David's "Harvest of
the Cold Months". Unfortunately, some of the phrasing is unfamiliar to
me.

> Historical ice cream recipes
>
> To make the sorbet:
> 50ml cinnamon water
> 200ml water
> 100g sugar
> mix all ingredients, put in a coldproof container and freeze. Shake
> and/or
> stir approximately every 15 minutes to give it a granita-like
> consistency.

Uh, what is a "granita-like" consistency? That last a isn't supposed to
be an "e" is it? :-) Afterall it does say to stir it every 15 minutes.

> Nut milk ice (after Latini, 1692)
>
> 1 cup pine nuts
> 1cup almonds
> water to cover
> 1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar
> coriander
> succade or other confits
>
> Soak pine nuts and almonds in a bowl with enough water to cover them
> overnight. Process them and strain off the liquid. Mix in sugar to
> taste and
> season with a pinch of coriander. Freeze in an icemaker, stirring
> continuously. When almost finished, stir in a small handful of confits.

Process the nuts, how? Grinding them up with the liquid? Are they
making pine nut/almond milk? It is the liquid you keep, right? Not the
ground up? nuts.

> Toasted almond ice cream (after Corrado 1778)
>
> 3 egg yolks
> 1 cup crushed almonds
> 1 cup rich milk or cream
> 1 tsp cinnamon water (see above)
>
> Make a custard with the milk and egg yolks, and stir in the cinnamon
> water.
> Toast the almonds till lightly browned, then process them to a coarse
> powder.
> Add the custard and mix. Our into a container and freeze, stirring
> every 15
> minutes to prevent the almonds from sinking to the bottom.

How do you "Make a custard with the milk and egg yolks"? I assume I can
probably find this in cookbooks or online, but I've already asked these
other questions...

Some of these recipes do call for sugar. Is this just for sweetening?
Or is it also used to create the texture? I'm wondering if I can
substitute Splenda.

Thanks,
   Stefan
Hmmm. Maybe it is time to bring out the shaved ice machine.
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com