[Sca-cooks] canning compost

Daniel Myers eduard at medievalcookery.com
Sun Jul 17 11:05:40 PDT 2005

On Jul 16, 2005, at 9:46 PM, Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise wrote:

> Adamantius, can you take the time to give us your thoughts on canning
> compost? We are thinking of doing a batch this summer/fall for Handy
> Period Sidedish Supplies...

Don't know about Adamantius' experiences with canning the stuff, but
I tried a batch last week and it seems to have gone well.

I cut the vegetables into small pieces - about 3/8" thick - and
cooked them briefly (not sure of the purpose of this, but the
instructions for canning carrots said to do this).  Then I salted the
veggies, packed them into the jars, and poured the vinegar/honey/wine/
spice mixture (heated) in.  I put the closed jars into a pressure
canner and processed them for 35 minutes.

I was a bit worried that the canning would leave the carrots mushy,
but they still kept enough of their firmness to be pleasant.  The bit
that I had left over was ok, but the can I opened up a few days later
was excellent.  The canning process helped to mix the flavors and
infuse them completely through the veggies.

I'm going to add some canning notes to the recipe on my site - as you
said, having this stuff canned is incredibly handy.

- Doc

--
  Edouard Halidai  (Daniel Myers)