[Sca-cooks] OOP Question -Sassafras

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Jul 18 06:56:17 PDT 2005

http://www.foodreference.com/html/artsassafras.html has something
about its history and mentions it's been banned.
http://www.motherearthnews.com/top_articles/1983_July_August/Mother_s_Herb_Garden__Sassafras
carries more about the ban.

Sassafras ---Contains safrole, a carcinogen. Safrole is not permitted in
licensed medicines and it is controlled in food additives.
The oil should never be taken internally as it can cause
liver and kidney damage. Aromatic sassafras tea,
once popular as a stimulant and blood thinner and as
a reputed cure for rheumatism causes cancer in rats when taken in large
amounts.
Oil of sassafras and safrole, major chemical components
of the aromatic oil in sassafras root bark,
were taken out of root beer more than 30 years ago.
And sassafras bark was banned from use in all food.

http://www.nhsc.com.au/consumer/safesearch/toxins.html

John Frampton's immensly popular 1596 translation of Spanish botanist
Nicolas Monardes' work, titled in English Joyfull newes out of the
new-found world, reported of sassafras that among Spanish soldiers “…it
did in them great effectes, that it is almost incredible: for with the
naughtiye [rotten] meates and drinkyng of the rawe waters, and sleeping
in the dewes, the moste parte of them came to fall in cuntinuall Auges….”
http://www.wku.edu/kentuckyfolkweb/KYFolklife_Medicine.html

Johnnae