[Sca-cooks] OOP Question -Sassafras

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jul 18 12:10:01 PDT 2005

Sassafras  was certainly known in the latter half of the 16th Century.

A reference to sassafras appears in Thomas Hariot's "A Brief and True Report
of the New Found Land of Virginia" (1588), which was meant to recruit people
to the Roanoke Colony.
"    Sassafras. The inhabitants call it winauk, a wood of the most pleasant
and sweet smell and of rare virtues in medicine for the cure of many
diseases. It is far better and has more uses than the wood which is called
Guaiacum, or lignum vitae. For the description, manner of using, and
manifold virtues of it, I refer you to the book of Monardus, translated and
entitled in English, The Joyful News from the West Indies."

I believe the text entitled "The Joyful News from the West Indies" is an
English version of Monardes, Historia Medicinal, 1574.

Bear

Sassafras might not be OOP---when they settled Jamestown in 1607, sassafras
was one of the things they were looking for, which implies there was already
a market for it.  I believe it was used medicinally.

Nancy Kiel

  Does anyone have a local source for sassafras root and bark?  I have a
  friend who would like to experiment with the real thing (not the extract)
  to make root beer.

  It is not something we have out here on the west coast (if I were in the
  town I grew up in I could go out and dig some up!)

  Maeva in An Tir