[Sca-cooks] Re: Nibbles

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jul 18 08:27:16 PDT 2005

Lonnie wrote:
>So what are period food items that fit the category of our modern day
>potato chips and popcorn?

This got me to wondering if medieval folk "nibbled" the way we do.  While we may eat "meals", many folk are never far away from some snack food - in a work drawer, in a school backpack, in one's kitchen.  The medieval setup was a bit different, was it not?  Workers worked, then stopped for a meal.  Then they worked.  They weren't carrying small bags of "whatever" to stop and snack on between their chores, were they?  I don't get a mental image of scribes laboriously copying texts and reaching over for a snack between pages.  Or, ladies in the solar doing embroidery and snacking while changing colored threads.  Might not this insistent snacking that we take for granted be a much more modern phenomenon?

Alys Katharine

-