[Sca-cooks] nibbles: fennel docs

Samrah auntie_samrah at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 18 15:14:03 PDT 2005

Just in case anybody needs docs on this stuff.  It is probably easier for me to look it up than many folks ;o)  If anybody actually needs full-on bibliography, please let me know, otherwise I just list IBSN.

I remember the reference to munching on fennel seeds during boring church sermons, but can't seem to find the source either.

Fennel is mentioned in Gerard, p. 242, (my copy is IBSN 1 85958 0513), but I hate Gerard as a source.  He knew their were 1500 errors in his herbal and had the dern thing published anyway--much less how much info we have now found to be incorrect!

Lathrop, Herbs How to Select, Grow & Enjoy, IBSN 0-89586077-5, p. 67, dates fennel to 490 BC in Greece.  Sunset Herbs an Illustrated Guide IBSN 0-376-03324-X, p. 56, states "In continental Europe, the spread of fennel was furthered by the decree of Charlemagne, who specified its cultivation on the imperial plantations."

Fennel is also an excellent diuretic (Lawless, Enc. of Essential Oils, IBSN 1-85230-311-5, p. 97), and from personal experience.  Many of you probably know this, but it is used as a seasoning in Italian sausage so quite often around here we order pizza for swollen feet, etc.  Usual disclaimers:  I'm not an M.D., not prescribing, consult your health care professionals, etc., just sayin' occasionally we order Italian sausage pizza....

Samrah

kingstaste at mindspring.com wrote:
Fennel seeds as well. I have a reference but don't know where it came from,
about keeping fennel seeds in one's pockets to nibble on during long church
services. It sweetens the breath and is an appetite suppressant.
Christianna