[Sca-cooks] English wine

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Tue Jul 19 07:18:51 PDT 2005

At 05:13 AM 7/19/2005, you wrote:

>>Well, if it helps any, I got the name wrong- it should have bee
>>Gerald of Wales, not Geoffery. I was thinking Geoffery because I've
>>been reading his _History of the Kings of Britain_. My bad.
>
>Yeah. Geraldus Cambrensis, Geoffrey of Monmouth.
>
>Isn't there a quote connected with the hospitality level (or lack
>thereof) of Richard II, to the effect that you had to strain the wine
>between your teeth?

I'm pretty sure that that was Henry II that the remark was made of. But
dagnabit I can't find the quote! ARGH!

Thoroughly frustrated 'Lainie
"Beware the leader who bangs the drum of war in order to whip the citizenry
into a patriotic fervor. For patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It
both emboldens the blood, just as it narrows the mind."
~Julius Caesar