[Sca-cooks] semi OT question on steer butchering and costs

iasmin at comcast.net iasmin at comcast.net
Tue Jul 19 04:11:03 PDT 2005

I'm half hoping Phlip is reading but in case she isn't, I'm posting this question to SCA cooks instead of MK Cooks because I have to decide on something by tomorrow...

I have the opportunity to get a good freezer full of beef from an Amish farmer during the month of August. We get produce delivery from a certified organic farm in Michigan and the farm owners work with a local Amish family to find buyers for his beef. They're looking to distribute 1/4's and 1/2's butchered and packaged some time in August (after Pennsic).

>From what I've been able to find out, most steer will have a rough hanging weight of about 500 poundswith about 300 of that in useable meat after the processing. That puts it at 150 lbs per side. At, say, 3.00$ per pound for the cost of the meat and the processing costs per pound, that makes the overall cost for the meat 225$ for a 1/4 side, 450$ for a 1/2 side, and 900$ for a whole, assuming my math is correct and my assumptions roughly accurate.

Is my math correct? It seems to me that while 3$/pound for organically raised ground beef is a bit pricey, for a t-bone, filet, or rib eye, it's pretty darned good. At least in my area. Thoughts? Feel free to jump in.

Iasmin