[Sca-cooks] semi OT question on steer butchering and costs

Mark Hendershott crimlaw at jeffnet.org
Tue Jul 19 10:56:28 PDT 2005

At 05:32 AM 7/19/2005, you wrote:
>That depends on a front or hind quarter, are your weights for halves or
>sides. Mine normally come in around 400lbs a half is why I am asking.  I
>have even had a 500lb front quarter. Just seems kind of small , and yes
>completely organic.
>But 3.00$ a lb cut and wrapped for up here is not a bad price. Bit high
>but your buying organic beef.
>Cealian of Moray
>----- Original Message ----- From: <iasmin at comcast.net>  Deleted

One thing to remember in your delight over doing the organic thing and
maybe getting a good deal is that you have to eat it.  All of it.  A
quarter or half of beef may not be practical for the small family or those
who only buy certain cuts.  Now that the kids are out and gone we would not
buy bulk beef for instance.  I do, however, have fond memories of a couple
of past deals.  Traded a pig for a divorce once, it arrived at the office
cut and wrapped.

Simon Sinneghe
Briaroak, Summits, An Tir