[Sca-cooks] IKA - head table seating?

Barbara Benson voxeight at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 08:55:12 PDT 2005

Greetings,

This discussion dovetails nicely with an issue that I have been
pondering regarding my upcoming feast.

In reading Roy Strong's "Feast" to try and get an idea of format for
the feast (12th Century Sicilian) I came across the discussion of the
position of honor and how it changed over time. He pretty much says
that during the time I am looking at the position of honor would be
the far left and not the center.

So my question is, how do you think people would react to setting up
the head table with the King and Queen at the far left and descending
order of prescedence going towards the right. It kinda makes sense.
With the King on th far left people could come up and speak to either
Him or his Queen without standing in the middle of the feast hall with
their tushines facing all of the feasters. I have had the need to go
speak to their Majesties and found myself very uncomfortable and
therefore crouching infront of the table so as not to block access.

What say you all?

Glad Tidings,
--Serena da Riva