[Sca-cooks] New Topic - Farmer's Market vs Chain Grocery

Holly Stockley hollyvandenberg at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 22 04:12:41 PDT 2005

>I went to the State Farmer's Market in Montgomery Monday.  Bought tomatoes
>(real tomatoes, not pink plastic balls), Chilton County Peaches, Sweet
>Potatoes, Southern Field Peas, and Baby Lima Beans.  The beans and peas
>were already shelled in quart bags.  I paid $8.00 per quart.  Today I
>bought frozen quart bags of locally grown Southern Field Peas and Baby
>Limas from Food World for $4.00 a bag.  The Chilton County Peaches at Food
>World were 3/4 the price of the Farmer's Market.  The Sweet Potatoes are
>also a better price.  All the produce (except the tomatoes) was much better
>looking at the grocery.  I will probably only return to the Farmer's Market
>for tomatoes in the future.
>Has anyone else had a similar or different experience?
>
>Mordonna

I've found that you have to be careful and know what the going rate is.  It
also helps if you're familiar enough with the type of produce to know what
you're looking for.  (For instance, I have NO clue what a ripe lychee is
supposed to look like!)

The local farmer's markets vary in variety and pricing.  The small ones
usually are quite reasonable, the one in Grand Rapids can get pricey.
However, the small ones also don't have 350 varieties of heirloom vegetables
- which you can get in town.  Nor duck eggs.  Nor homemade cheeses.   I
nearly skinned my husband last week for paying $3 for a dozen eggs while my
back was turned.  You WILL pay more for organic produce - sometimes a lot
more.  AND it is a given that some stands will have the same trucked-in
produce that the chain stores carry.  I don't buy anything with those little
PLU stickers on them from the farmer's market.

However, I was raised on farm garden food and with homegrown berries and
orchard fruits.  I have REALLY high standards.  And hell will freeze over
before I pay $3/cup for raspberries.  My preference is farm stands and
U-pick farms.  Last year, U-pick blueberries could be had for $0.50/qt.
Yes, you read that right.  I haven't checked this year, but I doubt I'd do
so well given the total and complete lack of rain this summer.

I suspect that the price and quality of produce is going to vary widely
depending on where you live.  In Western Michigan, the fact that you can't
go 50 feet without tripping over a stand tends to drive prices down.  The
truly bizzarre microclimate here leads to a wide variety of produce,
especially berries and orchard fruits that don't travel well.  My whole
problem with supermarket produce is that it's been bred to be trucked, and
therefore has way too firm a texture.  And I think that you ought to have
the water boiling before you PICK the sweet corn.

That aside, you might consider checking out www.localharvest.org
It's too late this year, but there are a groing number of CSA farms all over
the country.  Community Supported Agriculture farms require members to buy a
"share" in the winter or early spring.  The farm owner then uses this money
to buy seed and supplies.  Some CSAs require you to work on them so many
hours during the season, others will cut the price of the share if you do.
Some don't even ask you to work.  Then, as soon as things begin to ripen,
you pick up your share of the veggies on a weekly or by-weekly basis.  A
share generally works out to be about 2 grocery-bags full/week.  If there is
a bumper crop, you share in the bounty.  If something fails to produce,
well, you share that too.  However, one of our local CSA's is the one with
the 400+ veggie varieties.  It can be well worth it.  Shares tend to run
$200-$300/year and are expected to cover the veggie needs of a family of
four.  Half-shares can often be had, as well.  It does alter the way you
cook, since you must fit your meals to what's in the bag, rather than
purchasing what you need for whatever you plan to cook.

Goodness, I'm long winded this morning!  Sorry!
Femke