[Sca-cooks] New Topic - Farmer's Market vs Chain Grocery

Heather M margaretnorthwode at frontiernet.net
Fri Jul 22 08:03:35 PDT 2005

> That aside, you might consider checking out www.localharvest.org

In middle TN, it's the Barefoot Farmer, on the net at
www.barefootfarmer.com. He had a series on the PBS station about organic
farming and farming in general. For meat and excellent soaps, there's
also peacefulpastures.com. Totally organic, nothing gets antibiotics
unless it needs it, no preservatives, no starving the animals before
they're taken to the butcher - and she runs her own dairy. Ehm, for
products for animals, of course. She doesn't pasteurize, so she doesn't
sell her milk, real buttermilk, butter, cream, or dairy cheeses in goat
and cow's milk for humans. What you do with them after you buy them is
your business, but she's selling them for pets. Oh, that butter....

> It's too late this year, but there are a groing number of CSA farms
> all over the country.  Community Supported Agriculture farms require
> members to buy a "share" in the winter or early spring.  The farm
> owner then uses this money to buy seed and supplies.  Some CSAs
> require you to work on them so many hours during the season, others
> will cut the price of the share if you do.  Some don't even ask you to
> work.

Some exchange work for paying the fee/share.

> Then, as soon as things begin to ripen, you pick up your share of the
> veggies on a weekly or by-weekly basis.  A share generally works out
> to be about 2 grocery-bags full/week.  If there is a bumper crop, you
> share in the bounty.  If something fails to produce, well, you share
> that too.  However, one of our local CSA's is the one with the 400+
> veggie varieties.  It can be well worth it.  Shares tend to run
> $200-$300/year and are expected to cover the veggie needs of a family
> of four.  Half-shares can often be had, as well.  It does alter the
> way you cook, since you must fit your meals to what's in the bag,
> rather than purchasing what you need for whatever you plan to cook.
>
> Goodness, I'm long winded this morning!  Sorry!
> Femke

Barefoot Farmer runs $650 for about six mo. of produce with weekly
delivery of enough to keep a five-person family in produce, I swear.
He's also got monthly payment plans (currently $100), and will trade
work in the field for produce. You may or may not go to the farm or a
drop-off point. You can also split your share with another person. My
family and I were going to do this this year, when our financial
situation changed suddenly. We normally spend about $80/mo. in produce
during the summer months, most at the farmer's market, so that works out.

Margaret Northwode