[Sca-cooks] New Topic - Farmer's Market vs Chain Grocery

Alexa mysticgypsy1008 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 22 04:28:16 PDT 2005

I grew up in Fl, and there were farmers markets
everywhere.  I remember walking around them and it
taking over an hour.  Awesome produce, great prices.
(I havent been back to florida in about 7 years, not
sure if that is still the case).  Lived in CA (Fresno
area), I do believe there was a farmer's market open
one day a week, never went.  But, those 'on the
corner' stands were everywhere.  Only stopped a couple
times, but I remember the one time I did, it was for
strawberries.  Oh my, those were the best strawberries
I have ever had and they were about 1/2 the price as
the going rate was in the grocery store.
Now, here in Chesapeake, VA-- There is a 'farmer's
market'.  I looked once, was not impressed.  Most
things were above the going rate then what I have
available at the commissary.  Not to mention, there
really wasnt much there-and only about 5 people
selling what appeared to be what they grew in their
back yards.  Nothing at all in any kind of quantity (I
was shopping for a feast I was doing).
So far, I am bummed I haven't found a good place to
buy my produce at a better cost than the stuff at the
store.

Alexa