[Sca-cooks] New Topic - Farmer's Market vs Chain Grocery

Irmgart irmgart at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 05:45:29 PDT 2005

The Farmer's Market in Raleigh, NC tends to have good prices on
things, and a lot of it is stuff people actually grow (esp May-Sept).

I'd gone to Atlanta over Memorial Day weekend and hunted for peaches
all the way up I-85 and couldn't find any good ones. Wednesday that
week, went to the farmer's market and got incredibly good, sweet, wet
peaches, strawberries, spring onions and radishes all picked that
morning, crusty bread 2 hours out of the oven and goat cheese from
goats I'd met last December.

Everything was delicious, and comperable in price to the grocery
stores (better on the strawberries and peaches which were being
trucked from California).

Then again, North Carolina is a very agriculturally rich state, and
I'd like to keep it that way.

And man, crawfish day is *not* to be missed $5/lb cooked crawfish with
a place to sit and eat 'em. *Good* stuff. Next year I'm going to go
buy bread and veggies *then* go get de mud bugs!

The Durham County and the Carborro City Markets are nice in that
*everything* at the market has been grown, baked or made within 70
miles of the market. You'll pay a bit more, but you're supporting the
*very* local economy, and you'll make friends if you're a regular.

-Irmgart