[Sca-cooks] New Topic - Farmer's Market vs Chain Grocery

ekoogler1 at comcast.net ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Fri Jul 22 05:33:30 PDT 2005

We are very fortunate here in that we have several that we can visit.  There's a huge farmers' market, usually heavily attended by the Amish over in Charles County...there's another Amish market up in Annapolis, but over the past two years, we have one right here in downtown Prince Frederick.  I love it, and patronize it, even if the occasional item costs a tad more (not the usual thing) because I want to see it grow and prosper...we are a county that has historically been a tobacco-growing area and the state, etc. are trying to wean farmers away from tobacco and into other things.  We even have a real butcher and a fishmonger in our market...not to mention an incredible baker.  For the most part, the food is locally grown on truck farms and is wonderful.  One item that we usually can't get at the grocery store are the southern Maryland cantaloupe...they are huge, and very sweet.  Unlike the usual kind, these things are the size of small watermelons, do ot have that green background with the viney overlay that the commercially grown ones have and violate what I was taught as a kid that the smaller ones are sweeter.  We also have access, through the market, to Silver Queen corn and locally grown tomatoes.  Several of the merchants also sell homemade jams, jellies, soaps, etc., etc.  It's a great place!

Kiri