[Sca-cooks] OT OP Nothing in 24 hours

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Fri Jul 22 06:25:27 PDT 2005

Too hot here as well, although we get dry heat, and low humidity.  The
closest I've come to anything food related is pruning my herb plants,
which live in various pots and planters, mostly on the south side of the
house.  This year, I have calendula (not yet blooming), catnip (not
catmint), basil, oregano, peppermint, orange mint, bee balm, 2 different
kinds of lavender (Hidicote and Munstead, which have a chance of living
through our winters), marjoram, various thymes (lemon, English, French,
and "Mother of"), Corsican mint, nasturtiums, different culinary
sages....Oh, and a plant that's either savory or hyssop (I need to
check...the little marker fell out.)
I was thinking of using the calendula for dyeing projects, but I think
I'll save it for culinary purposes.  I found a recipe, years ago, for a
16th c. French herb blend that uses calendula (among others), and I
thought it would be fun to try.  Not being a spoon tease, but don't have
immediate access to the recipe this morning, and too tired to dig for it
(one of those nights that never cooled off, so it's hard to sleep....zzzzz)
--maire