[Sca-cooks] { was Nothing} supper ideas for summer?

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 15:21:22 PDT 2005

On 7/22/05, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius
<adamantius.magister at verizon.net> wrote:
> I've been having inordinate amounts of fun revisiting sorta retro
> chicken, tuna, egg, potato, and shredded carrot salads, and finding
> that these are, in fact, quite edible when made by hand with real
> ingredients.

Yeah, I've been working on the salad thing, making my own dressings,
working my way down the veggie asile, seeing what works and what
doesn't. : )   I manage a salad a day, more or less.

> The other night was pan bagnat night (this is a sort of juicy tuna
> hoagie, grinder, sub -- in NYC these are known as heroes -- it's also
> been described as a salade nicoise sandwich).

That sounds very tasty.   Is this something you made at home or
picked up on the way home?

> Tonight, I used a cast iron grill pan to mark the skin side of a
> butterflied, whole chicken (split down the back with shears and
> opened up like a triptych, also known as a spatchcock), with fresh
> rosemary twigs (the denuded twigs) slipped between the bars of the
> grill pan. When it was nicely browned and cross-hatch-marked, I
> flipped it over, lowered the heat and let it finish under the cover
> from a cast iron dutch oven, which also just happened to fit the
> grill pan nicely.

I made a ragout of tomato, portabello mushroom, and vidalia onion.
Served that over some quinoa noodles I found on my last trip to
Harry's.  I added some shredded basil, and seasoned the ragout
with red pepper flakes, sea salt and cracked black pepper.

I discovered so far that quinoa noodles are fragile and dislike being
forgotton on the burner while you talk to your mother on the phone...

(yeah, I know a ragout should technically have meat in it...I was thinking
of trying this again with some lamb, and changing the herb up for taragon)

I also discovered my tapwater is hot enough to scald the skin off of a tomato.

> I also seem to be preparing to write a cookbook entitled "1001 Ways
> to Serve Cucumbers", if my past couple of weeks is any indication.
>
> Adamantius

Yeah, I'm going through that with zuchini and other summer squashes.

And I've been eating oat porridge lately, with an egg stirred in at the end,
and soft cooked.

Cadoc

                                    - William Gibson