[Sca-cooks] { was Nothing} supper ideas for summer?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Jul 22 20:50:44 PDT 2005

On Jul 22, 2005, at 9:21 PM, Johnna Holloway wrote:

> We've been doing cold cuts and easy things like rice in the
> rice cooker. We also did the order in pizza route the other
> night when we didn't want to turn the oven on to bake one
> here. The husband and teen-ager are heavily into ice cream
> in the evenings. (You know it's hot when they quit baking
> evening cookies or brownies.) When I have grilled, I have done
> enough for
> the evening meal and then left-overs. Ah, microwave.....

I've been having inordinate amounts of fun revisiting sorta retro
chicken, tuna, egg, potato, and shredded carrot salads, and finding
that these are, in fact, quite edible when made by hand with real
ingredients.

The other night was pan bagnat night (this is a sort of juicy tuna
hoagie, grinder, sub -- in NYC these are known as heroes -- it's also
been described as a salade nicoise sandwich).

Tonight, I used a cast iron grill pan to mark the skin side of a
butterflied, whole chicken (split down the back with shears and
opened up like a triptych, also known as a spatchcock), with fresh
rosemary twigs (the denuded twigs) slipped between the bars of the
grill pan. When it was nicely browned and cross-hatch-marked, I
flipped it over, lowered the heat and let it finish under the cover
from a cast iron dutch oven, which also just happened to fit the
grill pan nicely.

I also seem to be preparing to write a cookbook entitled "1001 Ways
to Serve Cucumbers", if my past couple of weeks is any indication.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04