[Sca-cooks] Re: OP: supper ideas for summer?

Lonnie D. Harvel ldh at ece.gatech.edu
Fri Jul 22 19:02:57 PDT 2005

Dinner tonight was...

Hoisin glazed boneless country pork ribs, grilled, served on a bed of
Asian broccoli slaw with grilled pineapple spears.

Dry rub for ribs:
five spice powder
ginger
cumin
red pepper flakes
ground coriander
garlic powder
onion powder
dark brown sugar (this should be half the mix)

Rub all over pork ribs, let rest for 30 minutes before grilling. Preheat
a hot grill. Sear both sides for about 5 minutes. Move ribs to sides and
cook covered over indirect heat (275-325°) for 45 minutes basting
occasionally with a mixture of water, lemon juice and olive oil. Turn once.

Hoisin Glaze:
Hoisin sauce
juice from 1/2 orange
honey

Mix it together, it's a little thin but should be thick enough to coat
the ribs.

After the ribs have cooked for the 45 minutes, baste one side with
hoisin glaze. Cook another 10 minutes. Turn. Baste other side with
hoisin sauce. (ribs should cook about 60-75 minutes total).

Put spears of fresh pineapple over the hot part of the grill (direct
heat). Baste with hoisin glaze. Sear some nice grill marks in, turn and
baste other side.

Take it all off the grill.

Somewhere in the 45 minutes, make the slaw. Two bags of broccoli slaw
(or make your own by julliene slicing broccoli stems, carrots and red
cabbage).

Dressing:
1/2 - 3/4 cup mayonnaise (two big serving spoons full)
Juice of 1/2 orange
Shoyu sauce if you have it (teriyaki otherwise)

Mix it together, toss with the slaw. Refrigerate until time to serve.

Plate:
Place a nice mound of the slaw a little off center of the plate. Lean a
boneless rib (they are usually about 4oz each, if smaller, you may want
to use two) onto the slaw pile. Lean a pineapple spear on each side. I
reduced some orange infused balsamic vinegar with about a Tbs of honey
and did the drizzle thing.

We had it with a warm sour-dough baguette.

90 minutes total. A bit longer than I usually spend on dinner, but it
was a long week for all of us.

Now I am off to finish my Mojito!
Cheers,
Aoghann