[Sca-cooks] New Topic - Farmer's Market vs Chain Grocery

Dianne and Greg goofy1 at suscom.net
Fri Jul 22 20:33:01 PDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Micheal" <dmreid at hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: "Cooks within the SCA" <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Friday, July 22, 2005 12:25 AM
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] New Topic - Farmer's Market vs Chain Grocery

> >I went to the State Farmer's Market in Montgomery Monday.  Bought
tomatoes
> >(real tomatoes, not pink plastic balls), Chilton County Peaches, Sweet
> >Potatoes, Southern Field Peas, and Baby Lima Beans.  The beans and peas
> >were already shelled in quart bags.  I paid $8.00 per quart.  Today I
> >bought frozen quart bags of locally grown Southern Field Peas and Baby
> >Limas from Food World for $4.00 a bag.  The Chilton County Peaches at
Food
> >World were 3/4 the price of the Farmer's Market.  The Sweet Potatoes are
> >also a better price.  All the produce (except the tomatoes) was much
better
> >looking at the grocery.  I will probably only return to the Farmer's
Market
> >for tomatoes in the future.
> > Has anyone else had a similar or different experience?

Oh, good heavens, not AT ALL! I LOVE my farmer's market. Today I saw
eggplants for 50 cents a piece, pints of apricots for 1.50---the prices are
wonderful, and the food is sooo good. Much, much better than the grocery
store. My box of meat cost me $36.00, and contained 18 pounds of meat,
including the aforementioned tenderloin, several pounds of ground beef, a
whole chicken, 3 T-bone steaks, and a nice sized pork roast. My freezer is
happily full, and so are we. Can't wait to go back next week--hopefully they
will not be out of sausage next week! I love sausage, especially this
wonderful fresh stuff. And it's fun to point out the pigs' ears and feet to
the kids, and tell them that's what for dinner tonight. ;-)

Yesterday I told them that no matter what, for the rest of the day they were
NOT to think about pink elephants. It's fun to watch their little brains
melt...

Laurensa