[Sca-cooks] How meals are served in period

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Sat Jul 23 14:53:14 PDT 2005

Am Samstag, 23. Juli 2005 22:00 schrieb Maggie MacDonald:

> Recently I noticed a feast that was served apparently an item at a
> time, not in "courses/removes" and was done really really well.
>
> Is there a document somewhere that describes a _simple_ meal? (I tend
> to doubt that because why would anyone write about a meal that wasn't
> unusual in some sense?)

I have been doing some digging in period German literature lately, and there
are occasional mentions of 'simple' meals (as in everyday meals, not peasant
fare). The literary standard seems to be one meat or fish course with bread.
I'm pretty sure this reflects an idealised reality, but a noble host who
serves every one of his guests a half chicken for lunch (Mauricius von Craun,
a 13th century knightly epic with satirical overtones) or a householder who
cooks a trout for himself and his guest (Pfaff Amis, a collection of humorous
stories) are certainly more believable than regal feasts at every corner.

Giano