[Sca-cooks] How meals are served in period

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Jul 23 17:42:57 PDT 2005

The item at time service is commonly associated with German feasts, but I
suspect it may have had wider use, especially in earlier times.  Serving a
single dish or a small group of related dishes would work better with a
feast of long duration than the large courses.

The three course multi-dish meal served over a realtively short period is a
practice that appears to have been made popular by the dinners held by
Catherine de Medici.

Bear