[Sca-cooks] onion soup

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Jul 23 22:37:42 PDT 2005

   Andrea MacIntyre asked:
> Obligatory Food content: The first couple of chapters mentions Onion
> Soup. Anyone have a really GOOD recipe??

Well, how about a period onion soup recipe? I used to think of onion
soups always being made with the brown broth, but that is perhaps a
French style. Most of the period onion soups seem to be white. For
various recipes and reviews of them, you might check this Florilegium
file:
onion-soups-msg   (23K)  4/ 3/02    Period onion soups.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/onion-soups-msg.html

> I like onion soup. My favorite onion soup was in a little back alley
> coffee shop in Brugge, Belgium. It was out of this world and even
> inexpensive.  They served it with a side croissant stuffed with
> chicken curry and pomme frites.

Uh, was the croissant stuffed with both the chicken curry and the pomme
frites? Or do you mean the pomme frites were served separately? I would
usually expect the latter, but potatoes seem to be showing up in a lot
of things like breakfast tacos and such these days.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com