[Sca-cooks] Onion Soup

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Fri Jul 22 20:09:40 PDT 2005

Obligatory Food content: The first couple of chapters mentions Onion Soup.
Anyone have a really GOOD recipe??

I like onion soup. My favorite onion soup was in a little back alley coffee
shop in Brugge, Belgium.It was out of this world and even inexpensive. They
served it with a side croissant stuffed with chicken curry and pomme frites.
I have never had anything like it since... and I order it often hoping to
find that experience again...

Andrea MacIntyre

My father made what I consider the best onion soup.  He used chicken stock,
not beef, and instead of white wine he used Vermouth.  It was delicious.
The one time he and my mom came to an event to check out this thing I was
doing, I was cooking the feast.  The queen was allergic to the soup I was
making (it was gaspatcho and she had a tomato thing - it was a long time
ago...).  My dad came into the kitchen and made his soup and had a great
time.  The queen loved it :)
I have also discovered that sweet onions like Vidalias don't do well in
onion soup, it makes it way too sweet.
Christianna