[Sca-cooks] peppers vs. chilies

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sun Jul 24 05:10:41 PDT 2005

On Jul 24, 2005, at 3:27 AM, Stefan li Rous wrote:

>   Margaret Northwode declared:
>
>> > two varieties of peppers
>>
>> Whoops - chiles.
>>
>> Alton Brown would roast me with a side of cheese dip or something.
>>

> Okay, so what is the difference between "peppers" and "chilies"?

"peppers" is fairly generic, whereas "chiles" is is pretty specific.
The genre (note that I'm not using the word "genus") includes both
peppercorns and capsicums, while the specific subset of chiles is
always a capsicum and usually at least somewhat hot in flavor.

> I've often heard "chili peppers" as well.

The aforementioned hottish capsicums, as distinguished from
peppercorns or sweet peppers such as Bells (which are also capsicums
but not remotely hot).

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782