[Sca-cooks] Mainz Ham

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Sat Jul 30 09:15:36 PDT 2005

Am Samstag, 30. Juli 2005 17:04 schrieb Sam Wallace:
> Hello,
>
> I am looking for a source or recipe for Mainz ham. All I have so far is
> that it is ham that has been soaked in wine lees (or brandy, if I remember
> right) before curing. I have a couple of mentions in late period recipes,
> but have not been able to find more,

The only reference I found is the Larousse Gastronomique:
"Mainz ham is brined, desalted, soaked in brandy or wine lees and smoked for a
long period"

But the matter is sufficiently mysterious for a regional paper to devote an
article to the search for the exact recipe. Apparently, the Mainz butchers'
guildmaster doesn't know himself.

http://213.187.75.204/ressorts/freizeit/essen_und_trinken/
marktfuehrer/?sid=d2a40f9b7045af131e42cad0bf3d650b&cnt=684256