[Sca-cooks] Mainz Ham

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Jul 31 22:42:45 PDT 2005

  Guillaume des Pyrenees commented:
 > I am looking for a source or recipe for Mainz ham. All I have so far
is
 > that it is ham that has been soaked in wine lees (or brandy, if I
remember
 > right) before curing.

"in wine lees or brandy"?

That pairing seems a bit unusual to me. This one where I'd really like
to see the original description, since we don't seem to have a recipe.

I can understand the brandy. That would have a fair amount of alcohol
and would seem to work quite well as a pickling agent/preservative.
Wine might work, although it's alcohol content is less. But the ham is
getting further curing. I can't see that the wine lees, containing the
sediment, dead yeasts and other stuff would do much. Either for the
taste or preservation. Why not use wine? You might say because wine
lees are cheaper than wine. But this says "wine lees" or "brandy" and
brandy wouldn't be cheap, either then or now.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com