[Sca-cooks] garlic

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Jun 1 21:44:59 PDT 2005

  Kirk asked:
> One thing they taught me as a cook, was the larger the Garlic pieces
> the milder the flavor the less brown the milder the flavor. Of course
> then there is hard and softneck Garlic and about 500 species each with
> different flavors I am order 10 different heirloom types for my fall
> garden.  The some Garlics are not but other alliums....so what types
> should I use, in period dishes?

I assume you actually mean something like "varietals" rather than
"species". Still, you bring up an interesting question. I can't
remember any discussions on different types of garlic, except maybe
elephant head garlic compared to regular garlic. In the store I can't
ever remember them being labeled as specific types of garlic, although
that could because most commercially grown garlic comes from one or a
few types of similar garlic.

Perhaps you might be interested in this file in the PLANTS, HERBS AND
SPICES section of the Florilegium:
garlic-msg       (59K) 5/23/04   Medieval use of garlic. Garlic storage.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/garlic-msg.html

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas