[Sca-cooks] malt

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Jun 5 15:30:03 PDT 2005

Bear, I think Lyse meant using the barley malt as a sweetener. You are
talking about ale barm as a leavening agent, right? Not as a sweetener.

I do have this tiny file on malt, but I don't remember it saying
anything about using malt as a sweetener.
malt-msg         (12K) 12/29/99   Period use of malted grain. Modern
sources.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/malt-msg.html

Stefan

> The pre-1600 recipes and descriptions I've seen don't mention barley
> malt,
> but it would probably have been in the ale barm for those breads that
> were
> not leavened with sourdough.  The first mention I can remember for
> malt in
> bread is Markham in the early 17th Century.
>
> Bear
>
> > Would barley malt have been used instead or sugar?
> > Lyse
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com