[Sca-cooks] chile, chili, chilli

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 10 14:03:36 PDT 2005

OK, so the Spaniards found all sorts of odd foodstuffs in the New
World. And they took many of these back to Europe where they were
planted as botanical novelties. Oh, yeah, and turkeys which they
actually ate...

And there are even some surviving recipes or discussion of how to
serve tomatoes and potatoes from the 16th century.

But what about capsicums? I gather that red peppers were considered
as a substitute for black pepper... Then the Portuguese and Spanish
took them around the planet with them and people in Asia and Africa
eagerly adopted them.

But what about capsicums in Europe before 1601? I've found a website
that claims that some small region of Spain quickly adopted them
(where they still make smoked dried capsicum powder). But other than
that, it seems that Europe turned up its culinary nose at capsicums -
other than the Hungarians who got paprika from the Ottomans by way of
the Bulgarians (and i'm not sure quite how the Ottomans got them -
from Asia by way of the Spanish and Portuguese?)

Does anyone know of references to Europeans eating capsicums in food
in Europe and what they thought of them?
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita