[Sca-cooks] Cool online source!

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Jun 11 12:10:23 PDT 2005

I'm a bit behind because I didn't get an SCA-Cooks digest Friday or
today. The last one I got was volume 25, issue 54. I am using the
archive to view the stuff I've missed but it is more awkward and it
won't work for anything I wish to save for the Florilegium. I wish I
could simply download the digests from the archives. So, if someone
could send me copies of the recent digests I would appreciate it.

Ardenia asked several questions:
> 1. My standard Bread dough is yeast, salt, flour, water.... and just a
> touch of sugar...any stadanrd period recipes like that floating around?

There are less than a dozen (depending upon your exact definition of
"bread") period bread recipes. All of the ones that I've seen, other
than the ones posted in the last month or so, can be found in this file
in the FOOD-BREADS section of the Florilegium:
bread-msg        (193K) 11/16/04    Medieval breads and grains.

> 2. Again...brain dead ...exams...corbread...not period, due to lack of
> corn in early Europe?

I don't think I remember corn bread in Europe prior to 1600, but it was
used for polenta in Italy. See these files in the FOOD-BREADS section:
polenta-msg       (22K) 10/ 1/01    Period polenta. Wheat and maize
polenta.
maize-msg         (38K)  9/ 9/04    Discovery of maize (Indian corn) in
the
                                        Americas and its introduction to
Europe.

> 3. Basic, plain white/yellow cake concepts?

No, not by what most folks would define that as.
Digby-Cakes-art   (12K)  6/30/01    "Excellent Small Cakes Revisited"
                                        by Tirloch of Tallaght.

We recently had a good conversation on period cakes, but it looks like
I haven't created a file with those yet. Let me know and I'll go ahead
and do that, and I'll email it to you or you can wait until I get it
online.

> 4. Dessert Spice documentation...ie: desserts with cinnamon, cloves
> etc....

Are you looking for documentation about these spices? Or about their
use in desserts? For the former, take a look at the files in the
PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES section of the Florilegium. For the latter,
check the FOOD-SWEETS section. How about a dessert made of just spices?
Sugar was considered a spice.
comfits-msg       (48K)  6/18/04    Period candied spices and seeds.
Recipes.

> 5. Someone asked for roman recipes a while back, could they send me a
> snail address, I'll copy my recipes and send them on.

If you have these in electronic form, I'd be interested in considering
them for the Florilegium. Unfortunately, I've got too much of a backlog
right now to be able to scan them in.

> 6. I'm not brain functional yet... but could people start racking their
> brains for basic sugar plate recipes ( See...Jadwiga, I mean Mistress
> Jadwiga...I asked!)
Sgr-a-Cnftns-art  (20K) 12/26/00    "Of Sugar and Confections" by Alys
                                        Katharine, O.L., O.P. (Elise
Fleming).
sugar-paste-msg  (104K)  6/29/03    Making sugar paste sotelties.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com