[Sca-cooks] Need help with a translation [Slightly OT]

John Kemker john at kemker.org
Sun Jun 12 17:25:28 PDT 2005

This is only somewhat off-topic, as it does relate to period baking
practices.

Master Wulfric mentions on his website and, in fact, has a page
dedicated to, Bread Marks.  My Lady, Seonaid, and I were contemplating
designing a Bread Mark for her to use when she bakes.  She's decided
upon the main charge and the Modern English version of a motto to go
around the edge.  That motto is "Good bread is no sin."

Not being a Latin scholar, nor an Anglo-Saxon or even Scottish Gaelic
scholar, I'm looking for help in translating the motto into those
languages.  My feeble efforts, thus far, have resulted in:

Latin:  Salubris panis est haud malus.

Anglo-Saxon/Old English:  God hlaf na fyren.

Scottish Gaelic:  Deagh aran bheil na col.

Any help would be much appreciated.