[Sca-cooks] Question & Artemisian Iron Chef

Jeanne P / Casamira jeannecas at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 16:30:41 PDT 2005

Greetings,

I need some good period sources for Chinese / Persian cooking that
show which ingredients were used in period.
Was Coconut milk ever used?  Can it be documented?
I know it's not part of Mediterianian, French or English medieval fare.

Artemesia held it's 4th Iron Chef Competition at Uprising this past
weekend.  The contest was changed from the past 3 years - with 4
secret ingredients and outdoor cooking instead of 1 secret ingredient
and using a modern kitchen.
Because it was held on Friday at Uprising, the defending Champion
team, headed by Mst. Caointiarn, was unable to defend the title.

The 4 secret ingredients were:
1) A bag of black, red, green and white peppercorns.  Of course we had
to sort them and discard the red which were not used in period.
2) Verjuice
3) A lovely chunk of lamb - maybe 2 pounds
4) Saffron
We were to use these ingredients and cook for the encampment, and the judges.

The "Ashton"ishing Cooks were mainly from the Barony of Loch Salann
cooking in (and for) the "Barony Ashton" encampment.  Myself,
Viscountess Allessandra Raffaela di Luciano from 1000 Eyes [the local
shopper], Mst. Margaret Mendeith, Lord Robert the Raven Macleod and
Hildegardis filia Vulframni.

Dinner was served to the judges in Hiledgardis' wonderful tent with a
long table set for 6.  Before the Judges, Mst. Karistianne de Chance
and Lord Bruce the Robert from Atlantia, were seated, they were
directed to a stand to wash their hands with lavender scented water.

The table was set with plates, glasses, knives and spoons.  Forks were
available upon request, but would not have been set at table.  The
judges were given their choice of mead I made in 1993, Sekanjabin, or
water.  On the table were Spiced Olives marinated in Coriander and
Garlic, and boiled Garlic spiced with Saffron, Cinnamon, and Mace.
The Flatbread "Tigelle" was served with a freshly made soft pepper
cheese.  We used the white pepper, and sprinkled ground saffron and
saffron threads on the top of the cheese before serving.

The Gourd Soup, from To a King's Taste, was made using cucumber.  It
was a nice, light soup made using saffron.  It was closely followed by
the Roasted Onion Salad from The Medieval Kitchen, which used "secret
ingredients" pepper, and verjuice.

The lamb recipe, again from the Medieval Kitchen was Roast Lamb with
Sauce of Gold seasoned with black pepper, Saffron and Verjuice.
Cooked in a dutch oven, it was magnificent!  The saffron rice was in
the center of a plate, surrounded by venison which Hildegardis had
shot herself, and prepared studding it with garlic, and roasting it
with onions, carrotts and verjuice.  Condiments included a home-made
mustard using yellow and black mustard seeds finely ground, soaked in
my plum liqueur and ground with the marinated plum fruit, and Poivrade
from To a King's Taste.

This repast was followed by Pomesmoille, which we found in several
different books.  We used rice flour, coursely sliced apples and
almonds, and saffron was added to the sugar, cinnimon, ginger.
Freshly ground nutmeg garnished the top.

The best part of this competition was being able to prepare the table
in advance because the judges came to our encampment, instead of at
the last minute when we arrived at the "serving site".  And cooking
with Hildegardis, who, the following day, agreed to be my apprentice.

Jeanne Panlener / Casamira Jawjalny, O.L.
The Pun is mightier than the Sword!
Artemisia, Calligraphy, Cordials, Cooking and Puns!