[Sca-cooks] Re: meat pies

Louise Smithson helewyse at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 21 09:54:29 PDT 2005

The camping ovens they have are basicly just a collapsible metal box- a
sheet metal box would work just fine. For your purposes, a real, cast iron
Dutch oven would do the job - we baked bread in ours over the campfire.
They're not terribly expensive if you find one out here, and one of the
merchants at Pennsic sells them.

I've also had great sucess with dutch ovens.  If you put a trivet in the bottom you can then bake anything you would at home. I've baked cinnamon rolls, cheesecake, fruit pies, blind baked pastry, meat pies etc. etc. etc. The camp usually views it as a good sign if I dig out the two cast iron dutch ovens at war.

Helewyse